Saturday, September 14, 2013

Williams's first day of Mother's Day Out

Tuesday was William's first day of Mother's Day Out. While he only goes 3 hours a week, it was the first time for my baby to be in "school". For three hours that day, both of my kids were in school and I felt like an empty nester. I have been looking forward to my "three hours of freedom" for a long time but when it actually happened I was very emotional.
















William did great! He hugged and kissed me and went right into playing. I spied from the window and never saw him looking around for me or crying. This is a huge step for him since he is so clingy with me and has separation anxiety when I go to the bathroom.

Me spying through the window...



I, however, was a mess. I told Kevin I'm pretty sure I earned the title of "Most Emotionally Unstable Mom" at his preschool that day. I was a little weepy at drop off but, for some reason, was a disaster at pick up. By disaster, I mean balling my eyes out, hugging him so tight and telling him how much I missed him. Meanwhile he was all smiles and showing me the stamp on his hand.

With my sweet buddy at pickup...



When we got home, we sat down at the table and had lunch together. Every few minutes he would get up and come hug me and I would lose it again.

The experience made me so thankful that this is the first time I've ever dropped him off at school. I feel so blessed to have a husband who supports me not working and for our family to make adjustments so we can live on one salary. We have a great situation, it was just hard to see my baby boy look like a big boy in a classroom.

Update: it's Saturday following his first day of school and he has impetigo on his face and a 102 fever. Darn preschool germs!!

No comments: