First of all, this is day 2 of Caroline not taking a nap but waking up at 6:45 am. I have been spoiled with a child who sleeps 12 hours at night and 2 hours during the day. Add to that, the fact that she is a disaster when she doesn't sleep (aren't we all). But she can get in and out of her big girl bed so why should she sleep when she can play with her toys?! All of her toys are now in the dining room. Problem #1 solved.
Secondly, I got a call from Kevin after lunch. He was talking with his "fake calm" voice - the same one he used when he called me at the mall 2 years ago to tell me not to panic but our neighbor's house was on fire. He proceeds to tell me he fell while skiing in Utah and they are about to do x-rays. What?! The visibility was bad which led him to fall and land on his shoulder. Turns out he pulled his ligaments, which is the good news because it could have been a lot worse. The bad news is the doctor said he can't ski again this trip for fear he will fall again. His arm is in a sling and the doctor told him to see a specialist when he gets back.
Last little problem...this evening Caroline and I were watering the plants out front. She decided she wanted to go inside and dance instead. So I opened the front door and let her go inside the house while I finished up. The main door is wide open and the glass door that's in front of it is shut. I had one more plant to water and she is dancing, in a princess dress, in front of the glass door. (Don't start laughing yet.) So I'm all done and I go to open the door and, you guessed it, she locked it. Please note our glass door has a really long deadbolt lock. I try to show her how to turn the deadbolt the other way to unlock it without any luck. I went to my neighbor's house to get our spare key, except they don't have it because Kevin had to borrow it when he locked himself out the last time. Our other friends that we thought a spare key, don't have it either. So my friend/neighbor Allison and I try to figure something out. She's on her front porch yelling across the street to me, when her daughter locks her out of their house. Are we in a movie?!?! Luckily there's isn't a deadbolt on theirs and Farrah unlocks it for Allison to get back inside.
So now we have multiple male neighbors trying to assist us, to no avail. Everyone is trying to get Caroline to unlock the door. Are you kidding? She's in a princess dress and has an audience! So she's dancing of course. Then she does her "fake fall down" routine. (This is not a joke). She does this routine over and over again while giggling. The men don't get that she's 2 and she has no clue what's going on and is just thankful to have this many people staring at her so she can perform. Its been about at least 30 minutes at this point and Caroline is eating it up. I'm laughing a little, except that its getting dark.
We finally call 911 and they forward me to the fire department who tells me they can "kick it in". Right. Its a glass door with a 2 year old standing behind it. They say they will send help. Little did I know the fire truck was going to come screaming around the corner with the siren on. Is this necessary?! My friend Allison is laughing and letting me know that she will never let me live this down. And now all the neighbors that aren't on my front porch already are now on their front porch staring. I know I deserve this.
The fireman have some tool (Kevin asked me to describe it and I said it was big and silver) and they open the door without any hesitation. That's it. Problem #3 solved. Please see the pictures to know how funny this evening's events were...


I am exhausted...
9 comments:
This is the funniest post I have read on any blog!!!! HILARIOUS!!! Come to Austin for a break.
Oh my gosh...I cannot stop laughing. I had to have Andy stop his basketball game and listen to me relay the story to him. The pictures are great!
I am laughing out loud...your child cracks me up!!!
Ok...I am laughing so hard right now. No offense....I'm glad Kevin is ok. But for real, did you look around for any hidden cameras? So funny Brooke. I'm glad it all worked out. ps. Wanna trade spare keys with us too? Just in case.
Wow...I bet you were glad when that was all over! Funny story, and how great that you got pictures.
Holy Cow, Brooke. I hope you went inside and had a big glass of wine!
That is so funny, Brooke! I was laughing out loud just thinking about it. Caroline is hilarious:)
Really really really the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I am in love with this story and your daughter. The pictures are PRICELESS!!!!!
oh. my. stars.
that is stinkin' funny....
Post a Comment