Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Projectile vomiting, anybody?

William had some trouble keeping milk down last week. By "trouble" I mean he was projectile vomiting all of the milk from every feeding. We know babies spit up but after a few days of this we decided it probably wasn't normal and I called his pediatrician. They told us to take him to the ER right away. Kevin left work to come get me and William and our fabulous friend Mary kept Caroline for us.

The fear was that William had pyloric stenosis, something my brother had as an infant and something that requires surgery. Thankfully, the ultrasound showed he did not have it. They decided he had reflux after watching him scream immediately after eating. They gave him a prescription for Prevacid and sent us home. Thankfully the Prevacid has helped a lot and he has only vomited a couple of times since Friday.

Despite all of this he is still gaining tons of weight. On Friday at the ER he weighed 8 lbs 2 oz and today (just four days later) he weighs 8 lbs 11.5 oz.

Here are some pictures from his first ER visit...

Poor buddy was so hungry but they wouldn't let me feed him.






First hospital gown :(

























1 comment:

Emily said...

I didn't know they made hospital gowns that small. :( Poor sweet William, I am glad it was only reflux!