My conversation with Caroline on the way home from a playdate today...
Caroline: Mommy, why does that man need sticks to walk.
(There is a handicapped man sitting on a bench waiting for the bus as we were driving.)
Me: Those are crutches that help him walk.
Caroline: Why does he need crutches to help him walk but we don't?
Me: Remember, some people get into an accident and hurt themselves or when they are born they can't use their legs like we can. (We have this discussion a lot.)
Caroline: I think he was probably hurt in a car accident. When I grow up I'm going to be a police officer and make sure people don't drive fast because when people drive fast they get in accidents and hurt people. And I'm going to have a police whistle and blow it really loud to make sure people drive safely.
Me: Ok.
Caroline: I will go to training like Daddy went to training for his job. But what if when I finish my training, they run out of those police hats and I don't get one?
A very thoughtful conversation...yet from a 4 year old point of view. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment