Thursday we had one item on the agenda: find a dress for mommy to wear (that night!) to the annual Independence Day party at the Ambassador's house. The Ambassador's house is called Winfield House and occupies 12.5 acres in Regent's Park.
My shopping assistants on our way to a department store.
I found a simple black dress at the first store and we were done! So we went to eat our lunch in Grosvenor Square in front of the Embassy with Kevin. Oh and we ate our picnic lunch while listening to a string quartet play!
After lunch we played the games set up on the lawn.
...and William chased pigeons, his favorite London pastime.
We left and headed home so I could get ready. Just 2 minutes into blow drying my hair with the loaner hair dryer I was given, it died. So I threw Will in the Bob we borrowed and headed to Boots to buy a new hair dryer. I now have a really good hair dryer that only works in England if anyone needs to borrow one.
Since we didn't have much notice of the big party, we didn't have much time to find a babysitter. We asked people recommended by the Embassy but they were already booked because of the same party we were going to. A few people recommended a website that helps you locate a sitter and we used it. (This is completely out of character for us to find a babysitter we don't know on the internet in a foreign country.) It turned out to be great! Arijet was our sitter. She is from Kosovo and was the most professional babysitter we've ever had. She has three kids and is a teacher. The kids loved her and she seemed to handle them (William) very well.
Here we are in our flat before going out.
The Winfield House is only a mile from our flat so we walked there. It was a cold and windy walk.
Here are some pictures from the party. I like this one with the snipers on the roof. This is us with the Ambassador and his wife, Brooke. Ok, they are on stage behind us and we didn't meet them. But I did pass Brooke on the lawn and told her thank you.
Krispy Kreme donuts and Cuba Libres. Seriously amazing.
Not to brag but we also saw George Washington...
...and Thomas Jefferson.
Then they brought out the Ben and Jerry's. It was freezing outside but I had some because it would be unAmerican not to.
Hanging out in the gardens.
A Starbucks tent too. This is my kind of party. Except it was all frozen drinks and I was already freezing. No Starbucks for me.
The fireworks show was amazing!
Concert stage at night.
Us inside their house. We felt like teenagers who crashed a party but it was SO much fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment